RPG Lounge - Forum For RPG Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for RPG Lounge and RPG Lovers

HomeIRC ChannelGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Check out our new forum by clicking HERE!

Pocket Mirror - Demo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anorak
Concealed Always
Concealed Always
Anorak

RPG Tokens : 18948

Pocket Mirror - Demo Empty
PostSubject: Pocket Mirror - Demo Pocket Mirror - Demo I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Pocket Mirror - Demo Tumblr_static_header-1

I have decided to review something fresh and different - Pocket Mirror - a horror game made with RPG Maker VX ACE which surely did impress me. Instead of reviewing a full game, I have decided to review the demo which has been released. According to the creators of Pocket Mirror, not much of a storyline has been left, but more of a teaser of what the game will be about.

As quoted from the creators of the Pocket Mirror Demo:

Quote :
It is our policy not to reveal the storyline or any other significant detail about our project and instead allow the player to experience it in its purest state, as it is released. However we have released teasers and clues about the game available in our Tumblr blog which have the whole plot in them in the form of a deep metaphor.

See the very end of this post for extra links, such as the Pocket Mirror tumblr page, their email, download links and the twitter.

Pocket Mirror - Demo Large-text-divider

The Concept

Pocket Mirror is an puzzle horror game which leaves you in suspense, captivating your every move and action. You start off in a room covered with flowers which has a mirror in the center of the room and you only possess your one beloved item - your pocket mirror.

The Pocket Mirror seems to be a device which helps protect you from the creatures which lurk in the depths of this house you start off in. You also use your pocket mirror for one of the puzzles you will encounter. Most features in this demo are... unclear - which is too be expected from a demo, or a 'teaser', if you will. Throughout the demo, you are trying to escape this strange situation you - a young girl - have been placed in.

Throughout the game, you will also find strange paintings and clues which will hint where you are or what is going on around you. Some of the things you can find are paintings, dolls and pieces of writing which are left around.

Gameplay

Ah, the game play section of this review. The story line of this demo is unclear - as I have stated recently - but it does seem to hook an immerse the play in to what is going on and where this will cease. As you move along in your quest to escape this captivity, you will here sound effects/sountracks which will add to the horror effect in the game. The sounds and music in the game we really nice.

One of the things I really didn't like about the game was no indication of where doors were. Possibly a glowing animation near where a door is or a map you can find somewhere along your quest would be handy for finding all those doors. I know it isn't a big issue, but I don't like games which have no indication of where you need to go/where you can go.

One of the things I like about this game is the amount of interaction which has been incorporated. In the game, you are able to interact with windows, closets, curtains, sources of light, dolls, the ground, flowers, doors, glass, shelves and many more things.

Another minor problem I noticed whilst reading dialogue was grammar mistakes. These were pretty noticeable grammar mistakes so you might want someone/yourself to re-read every bit of dialogue just make sure every this is good. Smile

Overall, the demo was fun and I enjoy my stay in the Pocket Mirror game - there's only a few things which would be tweaked and the main menu could use some more work - that 'Memories' menu section is a bit glitchy and it isn't too attractive. Also, the sense of horror could be improved, it is currently good, but I think it could be better with things which jump out at you, etc., etc.

Screenshots

These screenshots have been extracted from The RPG Maker site and have not been taking by me.

Pocket Mirror - Demo Ss_20140226_at_080739
The aesthetics in this room isn't as great as the other room you will enter. A different texture for that fog would do just fine and an indication for where the doors are.

Pocket Mirror - Demo Ss_20140226_at_080858
One of my favorite sections in the map, it may look small, but it is masterfully crafted and the sound affects add to the atmosphere. Nice choice of graphics, also.

Pocket Mirror - Demo Ss_20140226_at_080538
The title screen you are presented with, has some nice artwork and the sound effects add to the game. The soundtrack is nice also, certainly fits the mood and theme of the game.

Pocket Mirror - Demo Tumblr_inline_myu08mH1b01rqyzcr
Whilst progressing through the demo, you will be presented with some neat images which add to the creepy aura of the game. This is one out of the many pictures which you can find scattered throughout the demo.

Overall...

The GOOD:

• The horror effect in this game is nice and is executed well.
  • Nice animations and level design used in Pocket Mirror.
  • The dialogue isn't cheesy, but intriguing - an aspect of a great game.
  • Lovely soundtrack and sound effects.
  • Well drawn artwork.
  • Many objects are intractable.

The BAD:

• Visible grammar mistakes throughout game.
  • The main menu could use some refurbishing.
  • No indication of where doorways are. (Possibly a map could be implemented, which you would have to find throughout the game to help with navigational issues.)

Overall, this game was a nice play, and I can't wait to get my hands on the full game of Pocket Mirror and review that. I wish the developers the best of luck in their game making adventure, it seems quite a bit of effort has been placed into this neat little demo.

I am definitely curious of what happens next, the ending was perfectly executed. Smile

-Anorak

See the next post for download links, their tumblr page and twitter.
Back to top Go down
https://rpglounge.rpg-board.net
Anorak
Concealed Always
Concealed Always
Anorak

RPG Tokens : 18948

Pocket Mirror - Demo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pocket Mirror - Demo Pocket Mirror - Demo I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Back to top Go down
https://rpglounge.rpg-board.net

Pocket Mirror - Demo

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RPG Lounge - Forum For RPG Lovers :: RPG Gaming Corner :: RPG Reviews-